Jan 19, 2010

Variations on a Theme Square #13

If anyone has been having trouble with this one, my apologies--I've fixed typos in rows 3 and 5. Thanks to Kath and Sandy for pointing these out.

Square #13
Note:
fptr front post treble crochet Yo two times, insert hook from front to back to front around stitch indicated, pull up lp, (yo, pull through 2 lps on hook) 3 times.

Row 1:
Ch 32, sc in second ch from hook, * skip next 2 ch, 5 dc in next ch--shell made, skip next 2 ch, sc in next ch, dc in next 4 ch, ch 1, skip next ch, sc in next ch **; repeat from * across ending last repeat at **.

Row 2: Ch 5 (counts as dc and ch 2), sc in center dc of first shell, ch 2, dc in next sc, (ch 1, bpdc around next 4 dc, dc in next sc, ch 2, sc in center dc of next shell, ch 2, dc in next sc) across, turn.

Row 3: Ch 1, sc in first dc, *shell in next sc, sc in next dc **, skip next 2 dc, fptr in next 2 dc, fptr in two skipped dc, ch 1, sc in next dc; repeat from * across ending last repeat at **, turn.

Row 4: Ch 5 (counts as dc and ch 2), sc in center dc of first shell, ch 2, dc in next sc, (ch 1, bpdc around next 4 tr, dc in next sc, ch 2, sc in center dc of next shell, ch 2, dc in next sc) across, turn.

Row 5: Ch 1, sc in first dc, shell in next sc, sc in next dc, (fpdc around next 4 dc, ch 1, sc in next dc, shell in next sc, sc in next dc) across, turn.

Row 6-8: Repeat rows 2-4.

Rows 9-16 or until piece is square, or almost square: Repeat rows 5-8.

At end of last row, fasten off.

To make this stitch pattern any size, begin with ch multiple of 6 plus 2.



11 comments:

BlueRoseLover said...

Gorgeous! I LOVE cables!

Crochet Lina said...

Omg now that was a challenge, but it was really fun, i have never ever crocheted cable b4, but it was a nice experience.. It makes a lovely square.. Tg i learned the english crochet terms.. Ty Carolyn for this CAL..

Debbie said...

Thanks for the correction! I was just crocheting the square and noticed the errors, so came back to the computer to see if you corrected it. Sure enough! This one has to be the best one so far. Those cables really are cool.

Mary Beth said...

Finally caught up! But going out of town for work again today! Having a great time with this, and very pleased with the results! And what a nice group of bloggers to be sharing this with!

stringsofme said...

I am still behind. I am only in square 7 right now but I had a question. Is anyone else's squares different sizes? I'm getting frustrated because my squares are turning out to be a little bit different in size. Did this happen to anyone else?And will it get fixed when I get to do the border? Thanks!

Sue Krekorian said...

Erm, is it me, or is there also an error in row 1? There seems to be a last shell missing.

Debbie said...

Yes, I noticed it, too, but that's not what's wrong. I think it's just that the ** is in the wrong place. We've made so many of these already with similar instructions that this one was easy to see where we needed to continue to and stop.

Mary Hunt said...

The cables were fun. They were a new experience. I like the results.
I noticed the errors but was able to make appropriate adjustments.

bwd said...

I had the same hiccup with row 1. Escaped me to reconsider the **. Thanks Deb.

bwd said...

very interesting to make cables in crochet.

Ghost said...

I am working on this square now and i am finding it the hardest one so far. It is challenging but I have worked cables before so I am getting it but it is not the fastest square in the bunch.