Jan 26, 2010

Variations on a Theme Square #18

Square #18

Row 1: Ch 32, sc in second ch from hook, (skip next 2 ch, 5 dc in next ch--shell made, skip next 2 ch, sc in next ch) across, turn.

Row 2: Ch 5 (counts as dc and ch 2), sc in center dc of first shell, (ch 5, sc in center dc of next shell) across, ch 2, dc in last sc, turn.


Row 3: Ch 1, sc in first dc, (ch 5, sc in next ch-5 sp) across ending with ch 5, sc in last dc, turn.

Row 4: Ch 5, sc in next sc 2 rows below enclosing ch from previous row in sc, ch 2, dc in next sc, (ch 2, sc in next sc 2 rows below enclosing ch from previous row in sc, ch 2, dc in next sc) across, turn.

Row 5: Ch 1, sc in first dc, (shell in next sc, sc in next dc) across, turn.

Rows 6-20 or until piece is square or almost square: Repeat rows 2-5 ending with row 4.

At end of last row, fasten off.

To make this stitch pattern any size, begin with ch multiple of 6 plus 2.

13 comments:

Ghost said...

I am behind but getting there. Also ordered some of your Entrelac crochet books today.

Carolyn Christmas said...

No worries about being behind! I think there are a few people just starting today. We'll be working on joining, which many have already started on their own, and border rounds in the coming week.

Aunt Debbie said...

So Carolyn is this the last square?

Ghost said...

Thanks for the encouragement Carolyn I know I will make it.

BlueRoseLover said...

Loved the "mystery" of this last square. You should have heard my actual GASP :o when I saw what developed. Brilliant!! Thanks again, Carolyn! Looking forward to putting this all together now! :)

Yarn Princess said...

Is there not a picture for this one?

Carolyn Christmas said...

Yes Aunt Debbie this is the last large square. But we're not done :)

Kath said...

We are not done!!? Whoohoo!

BlueRoseLover said...

ROFL, Kath!!

Mary said...

Done up to #14.

#13 was very interesting. (I thought I made up that stitch when I was playing around a few years ago, then started seeing it in patterns. This is the first pattern I've used that had it.) What I found was this was the first block that shows a difference- one that does not matter at all- between crocheting left- handed and right-handed. My cables twist right, while yours twist left, because we start from opposite sides! Hadn't thought of that!

Therese said...

I'm doing square #13. I've never done the cable stitch before. I really like this square. I can't wait until after work to continue crocheting it. I have some squares completed and some of them still need me to crochet the boarders on them. This is a lot of fun.

Mary Hunt said...

I started Square #18 about 3 times before I really read the words in row 4 instructions "enclosing chain from previous row". Suddenly the light bulb turned on, and I was off and crocheting the rest of the square with no problems. I really like the results.

Debbie said...

I've got all the blocks done, with just a few of the borders on rectangles to finish. While I like the joining stitching that Carolyn suggested already, I'd like to see what else she has in mind before I start. You did say you were going to suggest more joining methods, right, Carolyn?