Jan 7, 2010

Variations on a Theme Square #3

Square #3
Row 1: Ch 32, sc in second ch from hook, * skip next 2 ch, 5 dc in next ch--shell made, skip next 2 ch, sc in next ch **, ch 1, skip next 2 ch, (dc, ch 1, dc) in next ch--V-stitch made, ch 1, skip next 2 ch, sc in next ch; repeat from * across ending last repeat at **, turn.

Row 2: Ch 5 (counts as dc and ch 2), sc in center dc of first shell, ch 2, dc in next sc, *ch 2, sc in center sp of next V-st, ch 2, dc in next sc, ch 2, sc in center dc of next shell, ch 2, dc in next sc; repeat from * across, turn.

Row 3: Ch 1, sc in first dc, shell in next sc, sc in next dc, (ch 1, V-st in next sc, ch 1, sc in next dc, shell in next sc, sc in next dc) across, turn.

Rows 4-16 or until piece is square, or almost square: Repeat rows 2-3, ending with row 2.

At end of last row, fasten off.

To make this stitch pattern any size, begin with ch multiple of 6 plus 2.

Edging instructions are here.

9 comments:

Mary Beth said...

Thank you! Thank you! Can't wait to get started!

Jelibe said...

:D Yeah! Time to get me hook out :D

MaggieM said...

can't wait to get home and get started!

Anonymous said...

These shell patterns have been really fun.

Anonymous said...

The first two have been a pleasure to work! I am wondering - is it important that they be the exact same size? Mine are a little bit over 1/4" different.

Ghost said...

I am not able to start now as hubby is ill but I will catch up.

cassied said...

I have had a rough couple of days... I've manged to get the patterns, but only have the first row of square #1. I'll have to play catch up on Friday. It's my birthday so I'll have the whole day to crochet.

Carolyn Christmas said...

Hi Sheri, as long as they are that close in size they will be OK. We will block them all to the same size before we finish the afghan.

Valerie said...

I'm about halfway through this one and it finally dawned on me the "variation on a theme". DUH I'm such a Granny Square I never thought the squares would be rows instead of rounds.