Jan 21, 2010

Variations on a Theme Square #15

Square #15
Note: This stitch pattern is dense. Mine worked up about an inch larger than the others when worked with the same size hook--this is enough so that you may wish to make this with one size smaller hook.

Most of the small size variations in these squares are of no consequence to this design. Once the edgings are on and everything is joined together, it all works out fine and the small size variations disappear. Just FYI-- my square #15 is an inch wider than the others and I used it in my afghan anyway, so when you see my finished afghan you'll be able to see that the size difference is not discernable in final result. However, I wanted to give you a heads up to the size difference in case you wanted to use a smaller hook.

Row 1: Ch 32, sc in second ch from hook, (skip next 2 ch, 5 dc in next ch--shell made, skip next 2 ch, sc in next ch), across, turn.

Row 2: Ch 3, 2 dc in same st, (sc in center dc of first shell, 5 dc in next sc) across ending with 3 dc in last sc, turn.

Row 3: Ch 1, sc in first dc, (5 dc in next sc, sc in center dc of next shell) across ending with sc in last dc, turn.

Rows 4-16 or until piece is square, or almost square:
Repeat rows 2-3.
At end of last row, fasten off.

To make this stitch pattern any size, begin with ch multiple of 6 plus 2.


12 comments:

BlueRoseLover said...

Thanks for the heads up!!

Anonymous said...

That is a beautiful block.

Molly said...

This is really a beautiful square, I'm going to have to do this one.

Therese said...

This is a beautiful block. I have been enjoying this cal. I am so far behind though. I'm on square
10. But I will catch up.

BlueRoseLover said...

Carolyn, did as you suggested and used a G hook instead of an H. Definitely made a difference and the square came out the right size! Thanks so much!

judi-anne said...

Don'e worry, Theresse...you aren't the only one who is behind! I'm finished the squares thru #12 and both sets of rectangles...but haven't even begun to do the edging on any of the blocks. Hoping to get time this weekend to catch up. I am loving this CAL....what fun!

crochetlady said...

I also used a G hook and it came out the right size. Thanks for the great advice.

Kath said...

Beautiful square again. Going down 1 hook size worked beautifully for me too! We are getting down to the last few, this is exciting!

bwd said...

I kept with size H needle since I'm not concerned about gauge. I have huge squares and rectangles, dare I say, Texas sized?!

Anonymous said...

I used my H hook and just tried to crochet fairly tightly (if that's how you would explain it??)...it seems to be similar to most of my other blocks. Nothing perfect by any means! :) Now I just have the last set of rectangles to catch up. Looking great!

Dena said...

I just started with a 26ch and using the H hook. It has one less set of repeats but is exactly the size of my other squares!

Mary said...

I went from a G hook to an F hook. The height was perfect, but it was too wide. I decreased width by 1/2 shell, so it started with ch 29 and every row started with a full shell and ended with a half shell. Overall, very easy fix. Thanks so much for the heads-up!. Loving this so far; Thanks for doing it!