Jan 12, 2010

Variations on a Theme Square #8

Square #8

Abbreviations
bpdc back post double crochet Yo, insert hook from back to front to back around post of next dc, yo, pull up lp, (yo, pull through 2 lps on hook) 2 times.
fpdc front post double crochet Yo, insert hook from front to back to front around post of next dc, yo, pull up lp, (yo, pull through 2 lps on hook) 2 times



Row 1: Ch 32, sc in second ch from hook, * skip next 2 ch, 5 dc in next ch--shell made, skip next 2 ch, sc in next ch **, ch 1, skip next ch, dc in next 3 ch, ch 1, skip next ch, sc in next ch; repeat from * across ending last repeat at **, turn. 

Row 2: Ch 5 (counts as dc and ch 2), sc in center dc of first shell, ch 2, dc in next sc, *ch 1, bpdc around next 3 dc, ch 1, dc in next sc, ch 2, sc in center dc of next shell, ch 2, dc in next sc; repeat from * across, turn.

Row 3: Ch 1, sc in first dc, shell in next sc, sc in next dc, (ch 1, fpdc around next 3 dc, ch 1, sc in next dc, shell in next sc, sc in next dc) across, turn.

Rows 4-16 or until piece is square, or almost square: Repeat rows 2-3, ending with row 2.

At end of last row, fasten off.

To make this stitch pattern any size, begin with ch multiple of 6 plus 2.

18 comments:

Jenny said...

That is gorgeous.

Unknown said...

I have lots of work to do tonight, finishing up the edging on the existing squares and getting started on the new one, fpdc and bpdc are some of my favoriate stitches!

Carolyn Christmas said...

Hi Jenny, so glad to have you with us here! I am leaping about with delight which has the dog alarmed. :) :)
Maggie, glad you love the fpdc, bpdc--there will be more!

judi-anne said...

I agree, Jenny. This is my favorite block so far....and I love all of them! Can't wait to see how this afghan turns out! Thank you, Carolyn....this is so much fun!

Anonymous said...

Love, love, love this block!!

Aunt Debbie said...

Just wanted to say how much fun this CAL is! I love all the squares and can't wait to see how this looks when finished! Thank you and 3 cheers for Carolyn!!!

Anonymous said...

Like the new posts with the pictures. Thanks for doing this. It is so much fun.

Jenny said...

Well, I'm thrilled to be here. It's so much fun, working all these variations on the basic pattern. After awhile, you really start to understand the structure of shells in general, so it's really a great experience. Thanks so much for doing this!

Mary said...

4 down...looking good so far. I knew mystery blocks from you would be good! I am doing mine in fishermans white, so it really isn't; it's slightly off white. Will edge with the same.

Thanks for the color scheme designer site link. That will be fun when I have a chance to play with it.

Juanita said...

I love this square! Definitely my favorite so far!

Vaughnde said...

Gorgeous Pattern and block! I like it!

Mary Beth said...

Been out of town for 3 days - got some work to do to get caught up! Lovin' this project!

Jenny said...

Is it cheating to ask how many of these blocks there are going to be in total? I'm trying to figure out color distribution here as I go through my stash.

The Dixon Chick said...

I forgot how much I love fpdc and bpdc!!! I am so thrilled with how this is looking!

Thanks, Carolyn!

judi-anne said...

I was wondering the same thing as Jenny. Should we be making more than one of each square as we go along-----or is that part of the "mystery" (lol) ??????

Unknown said...

I think this is my favorite so far.

Unique2wh0 said...

I 3rd that..wonder how many squares due to I think I will not have enough of the color I got at thrift store LOL~ Hmmm...think'n !
Fun, fun, fun...

trapperhoney said...

I'm relatively new to crochet, and I am having some trouble figuring out the bpdc. Is there somewhere online where I can see this being done?